Saturday, November 12, 2005

SN Celebration Tasting


clebration sampler
Originally uploaded by gregandchristine.
We just got back from the annual Sierra Nevada Celebration ale vertical tasting. Apparently they have been doing this for several years, and every year they send an invitation to the Sierra Nevada brewery. I guess SN usually sends up some t-shirts and glassware, but this year they sent Ken Grossman- founder/ owner and brewer for Sierra Nevada. They had the last five years of SN Celebration ale on tap and I ordered a 6.5oz sampler set of all five. The straws are color coded to help keep the year straight. There was a real difference between 2001-2005 as the hop flavor drops off pretty dramatically. The 2003 tasted about perfectly balanced to me. The 2005 tasted thick and strong, and it tasted like a big bag of weed smells. This is a serious beer, and it was a fun event, but next time I think I should probably eat first. This is the kind of event that enforces my love of Portland-- casual, low key and totally awesome. As I was leaving I decided that I had to shake the hand of Sierra Nevada's head brewer. He was sitting at a table with what looked like some friends and family. I felt bad about interrupting him, so I apologized and said I didn't mean to bother him, I just wanted to thank him for doing what he does. He said thank you back and shook my hand.

2 Comments:

Blogger Annemg said...

I was never a Sierra Nevada fan... until I tasted some of their less popular brews. The brewery has several on tap that they don't even bottle. My favorite is the Crystal Wheat. And the food there is fabulous. If you're ever driving through, we'd be glad to take you there. :)

10:24 AM  
Blogger Lilypad John said...

that's awesome, wish I was there :)

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home